adapted from Homemade By Holman
makes about 24 cupcakes
For the cupcakes...
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- caramel sauce - I use Smucker's squeezable sauce to make it easier to fill the cupcakes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix sugar and eggs together on medium-low.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in 2 parts.
- Stir in boiling water - the batter will be thin.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans, filling each liner about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake approximately 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans about five minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When cool, use a cupcake corer to remove the center of each cupcake. Squeeze caramel sauce into the centers until it starts to spill out over the top of the cupcake.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 8 mini Snickers bar for garnish
- Beat butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about two minutes.
- Add caramel sauce, heavy cream and vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating on low speed until incorporated to reach the right consistency. Increase speed to medium-high and whip about one minute until light and fluffy.
- Fill a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes or frost as desired.
- For the topping, drizzle a little bit of the caramel sauce over the frosting. Coarsely chop Snickers bars and sprinkle over the top of cupcakes, or cut mini Snickers in half and use a piece for a center topper.