Sun-Dried Tomato, Basil & Gorgonzola cupcakes
makes 17 cupcakes
loosely adapted from Sweet Artichoke
For the cupcakes...
- 1 1/2 cup tomato (about 3 1/2 medium tomatoes)
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pinches of salt
- 1/2 pound gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 24 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line muffin tins with 17 liners and set aside.
- Put the regular tomatoes in a bowl filled with hot water for 2 minutes. (This will make them easier to peel.) Then peel them all and puree them in your food processor or a blender. Measure out 1 1/2 cups of tomato juice and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the yogurt and olive oil and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, pepper and salt.
- Pour the dry mixture into the egg mixture and whisk until well combined with no lumps.
- Pour in the pureed tomatoes.
- Stir in the gorgonzola and sun-dried tomatoes until evenly distributed.
- Fill each liner almost to the top and bake cupcakes for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting...
- one 8 oz package of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons of chopped basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat the cream cheese on high with the whisk attachment until light.
- Add in the basil , salt and pepper and mix until combined.
- Fill up a piping bag with a large star tip and squeeze a small dollop of frosting onto each cooled cupcake.
- Garnish with small pieces of basil.