Salted Caramel Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
adapted from Martha Stewart
makes 18 cupcakes
for the cupcakes...
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup warm water
- preheat your oven to 350F. line two muffin tins with 18 paper liners.
- in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- in the bowl of your stand mixer, on low speed, mix together the eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and water.
- slowly add the dry ingredients into the bowl of the stand mixer, scraping down the sides of the bowl until just incorporated.
- fill each cupcake liner almost to the top with batter and bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- let cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
for the salted caramel filling...
- caramel sauce, like Smucker's squeezable
- coarse sea salt
- after the cupcakes have cooled completely, use a cupcake corer to remove the center of each.
- fill up each center to the top with caramel and sprinkle a few pieces of coarse salt in each.
for the chocolate frosting...
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound semi sweet chocolate, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 cups confectioner's sugar
- in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and melted chocolate together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- slowly add the cocoa powder, then the confectioner's sugar, a bit at a time.
- if you feel like the frosting is too sweet, add a bit more cocoa powder to balance out the sweetness.
- drizzle with some leftover caramel and sea salt. enjoy!!