Vanilla Cupcakes with Caramel Filling and Pumpkin Buttercream
makes about 20 cupcakes
for the cupcakes...
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat your oven for 350 F and line 2 cupcake tins with 20 liners.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.
- While the mixer is going, whisk together the flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Reduce speed to medium low. Add the eggs to the bowl of your stand mixer, one at a time, until each is fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Add 1/3 of the dry bowl, followed by half of the buttermilk, alternating until all has been incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl until just combined.
- Using a 1/4 cup, fill up the liners almost all the way.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
For the filling...
- 1 small jar of Trader Joe's fleur de sel caramel
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a cupcake corer to remove the center of each.
- Spoon a bit of the caramel into the center of each cupcake until it reaches the top.
For the buttercream...
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons pureed pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, whip the butter on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until the frosting reaches a nice thick consistency.