Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream
makes 12 cupcakes
recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
For the cupcakes...
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Place butter, chocolate and cocoa powder in a medium heatproof bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the butter and chocolate are melted and the mixture is smooth. Set the mixture aside to cool until it is warm to the touch.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat the eggs on low speed, then add the sugar, vanilla and salt and continue beating until fully incorporated.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Sift one-third of the flour mixture into the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Add the sour cream and mix until combined.
- Finally, add the remaining flour mixture and continue mixing until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tins. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes. Remove the pan to a wire rack and let the cupcakes cool for a few minutes before removing them to the rack to cool completely.
For the raspberry buttercream...
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- raspberries and heart shaped sprinkles to decorate
- Throw the raspberries into a food processor and pulse until pureed. Strain out the seeds with a mesh sieve (I didn't do this because I don't have a sieve...my buttercream was still tasty, just a bit more "fresh" tasting. ha!)
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed and add the raspberry puree followed by the vanilla extract.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl until well combined.
- Pipe onto cool cupcakes and decorate as desired. Enjoy! :)