Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies
adapted from Averie Cooks
makes about 12 bars
for the brownies...
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 6 ounces dark or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso granules to enhance chocolate flavor
- a pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 15 Oreos, sliced in to 4-6 pieces each
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil, letting some hang over the sides, and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add the butter and chocolate and heat on high power in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each, for about 2 minutes until melted. Allow the mixture to cool for a minute before adding the eggs so they don't scramble.
- Add the eggs, sugar, vanilla, espresso granules, and salt and whisk vigorously to combine.
- Add the flour, most of the diced Oreos (saving a small handful to be sprinkled on top) and stir until smooth and combined without overmixing.
- Put half the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula as necessary so there are no holes. Set aside while you make the cream cheese filling.
for the cream cheese layer...
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract until nice and smooth.
- Smooth the cream cheese over the brownie layer, adding it in little dollops so you can cover the entire pan all the way to the edges.
- Cover the cream cheese with the remaining brownie batter, making sure all of the cream cheese is covered.
- Sprinkle the reserved Oreo crumbles over the top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the cream cheese center is set.
- Allow the brownies to cool inside the pan on top of a wire rack for 2 hours, and then cover and cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours (or overnight.)
- When cool, lift brownies out of the pan with the foil overhang and slice into squares.
- Keep refrigerated in an airtight container when not devouring!