This past weekend I baked carrot cake cupcakes for the first time to get in the spirit of Easter! They were very moist, flavorful and delicious and I will definitely make them again. Try them out and let me know what you think!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
recipe adapted from Martha Stewart
makes 12 cupcakes
for the cupcakes...
- 1/2 pound carrots, finely grated
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/6 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment on low, mix carrots, egg, buttermilk, sugar, oil, vanilla extract and raisins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the bowl of your standing mixer, mixing until just incorporated.
- Fill each cup almost to the top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks.
for the cream cheese frosting...
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 cups confectioner's sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese together on high until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the confectioner's sugar, one cup at a time, until frosting is thick enough to frost cupcakes with. Don't add too much sugar or the frosting will be too sweet!
- Fill up a piping bag and frost the cupcakes. Add some cinnamon and carrot shreds as garnish if you'd like!