This past Saturday, it poured all day long, so I caught up on some chores around the house and grocery shopping. I bought fresh berries and decided to make some blueberry and raspberry muffins! I don't make muffins very often, but I had a craving for them for some reason, and they did not disappoint! They're quick and easy and the cinnamon sugar crumble on top makes them even more delicious. :)
Blueterry & Raspberry Muffins
makes 12 big muffins
for the crumble topping...
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- preheat the oven to 375 F and line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- in a small bowl, stir together the flour, sugars and cinnamon.
- add the small pieces of butter to the mix. using your hands, combine everything together until crumbles form.
for the muffins...
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- in the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together at high speed until light and fluffy.
- add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl until combined.
- in a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- put the buttermilk and vanilla extract in a measuring cup together.
- add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk/vanilla in 2 parts. beat on low speed until just combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- turn off your mixer and add the berries, stirring until evenly distributed.
- fill each cup to the top with batter and sprinkle the crumbs on top.
- bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- let cool on a baking rack and store in tupperware containers at room temperature.
- serve warm with honey butter - delicious!