Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
makes about 24 cupcakes
for the cupcakes...
for the cupcakes...
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix sugar and eggs together on medium-low.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Add the bowl of dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in 2 parts.
- Stir in boiling water - the batter will be thin.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans, filling each liner about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake approximately 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans about five minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
for the peanut butter filling...
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter, salt and vanilla until smooth.
- Slowly add the confectioner's sugar.
- Using a cupcake corer, take out the center of each chocolate cupcake once cool.
- Fill a small pastry bag with a small tip with the peanut butter filling and fill each cupcake until the filling reaches the top.
for the peanut butter frosting...
- 1.5 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups confectioner's sugar
- mini Reeses peanut butter cups for topping
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat together the butter and heavy cream on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Reduce speed to medium and slowly add the peanut butter.
- Add the salt.
- Add the confectioner's sugar a bit at a time until the frosting reaches a thick consistency.
- Fill up a big piping bag and frost away! Decorate with a mini Reeses peanut butter cup.