Cherry Filled Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream
makes 24 cupcakes
adapted from Bake it in a Cake
For the cupcakes...
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken or chopped into small pieces
- 1⅓ cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat your oven 350°F. Line 2 standard muffin tins with 24 paper liners.
- Place the chocolate and 2 tablespoons of the milk in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds on high. Stir and microwave for another 20 seconds. Stir the mixture until the chocolate has melted completely and is fully incorporated.
- In the bowl of your standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium high speed until light fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing in each egg completely before adding the next. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Then, with the mixer on medium-low speed, add the vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cocoa powder.Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and mix for another 30 seconds, until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add the flour in 3 parts, alternating with the milk in 2 parts, mixing until each addition is completely incorporated before adding the next.
- Finally, with the mixer on medium-high, drizzle in the cooled chocolate mixture. Continue to mix the batter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds, until smooth and creamy.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to fill up the cupcake liners almost to the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the cake springs back when you gently press your finger into the top of it.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the tin for at least 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the filling...
- 1 cup cherry pie filling (about half of a large can)
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, use a cupcake corer to remove the centers of each cupcake.
- Using a spoon, fill the center of each cupcake with cherry pie filling until it spills out of the top of the cupcake a little bit.
For the frosting...
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 24 maraschino cherries for garnish
- In the bowl of your standing mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the butter on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Reduce speed to medium and add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Beat until frosting is fluffy and thick.
- Fill up a piping bag and top each cupcake with a small swirl of buttercream.
- Decorate with a maraschino cherry and enjoy!